Smithtown to Host Public Hearing on the Updated Draft Comprehensive Master Plan on August 3rd
The Town Board will hold a public hearing to obtain comments on the Draft Comprehensive Plan on Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 7PM at the Eugene A. Cannataro Senior Citizens Center located at 420 Middle Country Road Smithtown, NY, 11787. The plan, which was constructed based on a massive public input effort over the course of two and half years, focuses on preserving residential neighborhoods, preserving open space and historical sites, as well as providing a roadmap to downtown revitalization.
On December 15, 2020, the Town released the Draft Comprehensive Plan and initiated the State Environmental Quality Review process. In January and February 2021, the Town conducted a second round of community outreach meetings to review the draft plan. A total of six meetings were held to cover the unique needs of each hamlet. The outreach meetings were well attended, with over 700 participants. Community members commented on the draft plan during those outreach meetings both in written and verbal statements. The presentations for each hamlet were published via YouTube, and listed via URL links on the SmithtownNY.gov website, for residents who could not attend or participate in any of the meetings. Public comments were also submitted directly to the Planning Department. In consideration of all submitted comments, the Town Board amended the draft Plan at its June 8, 2021 meeting. The amendments are described in the Planning Director’s June 2, 2021 Planning Advisory Report which can be found online via the Planning Department’s page on the Town’s website.
Amended highlights include:
- Maintaining a Light Industry Zone throughout most of the Townline Road/Old Northport Road Industrial area. Residents in both Commack and Kings Park addressed concerns during the draft public input meetings requesting the town’s cooperation in conforming the area.
- The updated revisions incorporate the recommendations of the Suffolk County Bike Master Plan into the town’s plan.
- Recommendations for the zoning of the New York Avenue School property have been modified to protect current residential zoning, the preservation of the athletic fields and historical structures.
- Neighborhood Business zoning allows for retail use to continue.
- The modification and streamlining of the process for obtaining a Certificate of Existing Use (CEU) so that any property owners who are deemed non-conforming as a result of the recommended amendments, can easily obtain the CEU.
The draft Comprehensive Plan, SEQRA documents, and links to prior public workshops and outreach meetings can be found on the Town’s Comprehensive Plan webpage at www.smithtownny.gov/648/Draft-Comprehensive-Plan.
Important Upcoming Dates for the Master Plan:
- Final SEQRA scope to be issued late July/August
- Draft Generic EIS anticipated Fall 2021 (mandatory public comment period following the completion)
- Comprehensive Master Plan and GEIS revised as necessary to address comments
- Adoption of SEQRA Findings and Final Comprehensive Plan is anticipated in Spring 2022
To stay informed about the Master Plan, view recent amendments described in the Planning Director’s June 2, 2021 Planning Advisory Report, or to view public outreach meetings, please visit: https://www.smithtownny.gov/648/Draft-Comprehensive-Plan