The Town of Smithtown will reopen all town parks and beaches on June 13th, 2020, with certain restrictions in place to ensure the safety of all residents and to prevent the further spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Town parks will reopen, however facilities for group or team activities, including basketball courts and hockey rinks, will remain closed until New York State guidelines permit them to resume. Hoyt Farm spray park is open and operational. All other spray parks are scheduled to be open no later than Monday, June 15th. All restrooms will be open and cleaned regularly. Playground facilities will be open with restrictions on capacity and reminders in place to encourage residents to maintain social distance guidelines. Parents and caregivers are reminded to use vigilance in practicing good hand hygiene for children using playground equipment.
All town beaches will reopen permitting active recreation. Swimming will be permitted, when lifeguards are on duty. Residents should avoid close contact or touch sports, such as volleyball, football and other similar recreational games, unless playing with a family/household unit.
While enjoying outdoor spaces in the town, please remember to follow the CDC and New York State Department of Health guidelines for preventing the spread of COVID-19:
- Stay home if you are sick, or showing or feeling any COVID-19 symptoms, such as fever, coughing, and/or troubled breathing
- Practice social distancing by keeping at least six feet between yourself and others, even when outdoors
- Avoid close contact, such as shaking hands, hugging, or high-fives
- Wash hands often or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol when soap and water are not available
- Avoid unnecessary contact with surfaces that are often touched, such as doorknobs and handrails
Parks & Beaches Guidelines:
- Residents Only:
- In an effort to ensure the community has access to the parks and beach system, all cars will be checked for Smithtown Residency Sticker or proof of residency.
- Capacity Restrictions:
- 50% of normal season capacity.
- Physical Distancing:
- Always maintain six feet apart from others separate from your family/household unit
- Ensure six feet of social distance between individuals, including employees and members of the public, unless providing emergency assistance.
- Face Covering:
- Please use face coverings when occupying indoor areas (e.g. changing areas, equipment sheds, locker rooms, restrooms)
- Face coverings must be worn anytime an individual comes within six feet of another person, excluding members of the same household or family unit.
- Residents must have a face covering on hand at all times, should another person unexpectedly come within six feet.
- Face coverings must be cloth-based or disposable masks which cover both the mouth and nose.
- Hand Hygiene:
- Follow hand hygiene and cleaning guidelines, and use soap/sanitizer as needed.
- Always wash hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds before eating and after using the restroom.