Notice of Defect

To report a defective sidewalk, curb, apron or a problem with a town tree, complete the Notice of Defect form and either return it by mail to the Town Clerk’s Office at 99 West Main Street, Smithtown, NY 11787, or e-mail to: 


The Town Clerk’s Office will assign a case number and forward it to the appropriate department. The Town Clerk's Office will also provide you the case number and the department your case is referred to. 

Any future inquiries regarding the status of the case should be made directly to the department by referencing the assigned case number.