PUBLIC ACCESS TO TOWN BUILDINGS
Effective June 1st, 2021, Town buildings will be open to the public. Health & Safety Guidelines will be implemented for everyone's safety.
In an effort to operate as a functional government, based on New York State’s executive orders the town of Smithtown has taken measures to limit capacity for in-person services. Arrangements have been implemented to conduct business online, as well as drop off/pick up areas and secure payment options for residents and business owners who prefer to limit physical interactions. Additionally, cleaning crews are thoroughly sanitizing town buildings and grounds on a regular basis.
Building Access: Town department buildings are open to the public on an appointment only basis, with guidelines and capacity restrictions. All visitors must wear a face covering and practice social distancing prior to entering buildings. Please CLICK HERE to refer to instructions for each building.
NOTE: The Building's Department will operate utilizing the vestibule to safely handle requests.
COVID-19 Town Updates
Important information regarding how to proceed if you are sick, School re-opening schedules, meeting details and information on conducting business safely is available below for your reference. The town will update the public as information changes on a regular basis.
COVID-19: Testing Information
Testing Site: The “drive-through” novel coronavirus testing center has been set up at Stony Brook University. If you are exhibiting symptoms you can call the hotline to be triaged by a nurse and set up an appointment.
Residents can make appointments by calling: 1-888-364-3065
Currently, there are 7,969 confirmed Coronavirus cases in the Town of Smithtown. All regions of New York State have entered Phase 4 of reopening. CLICK HERE for Statewide guidelines
Highway Tree Pickup is Prohibited:
Cut Down Trees, or stumps are not permitted for Highway Pickup. (Tree Branches neatly bundled, no longer than 6 feet long or five feet high are accepted for pickup.) A summons for a Town Code violation can be issued for cut down trees that are left at the curb as part of any property clearing project, residential or commercial.
Town Meeting Changes/Postponements:
- Governor Cuomo has rescinded all COVID-19 related Executive Orders effective June 25, 2021. All work sessions, public hearings, Town Board meetings, Board of Zoning Appeals and Planning Board meetings will be held in person as per the dates provided on the 2021 Board Calendar. Residents who cannot attend a meeting and wish to be heard on the record should email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the meeting time. All written public comments will be added to the record. Residents wishing to watch Town meetings can do so via live stream by logging on to www.SmithtownNY.gov.
CALL AHEAD INSTEAD: Many services are readily available online
It is recommended that residents wishing to visit Town Hall or other official town buildings for permits, services or assistance, please call ahead or attempt to speak with department staff over the phone if possible. Many Smithtown functions can be found and completed online at www.SmithtownNY.gov as opposed to in person. For assistance with online forms, please call (631) 360-7512.
PARKS AND PLAYGROUNDS:
Our parks and playgrounds are open. Please observe health and safety guidelines.
LANDING GOLF CLUB:
- Golfers must have a reserved Tee time to be permitted to play. No walk ups. Please book in advance.
- Tee times are every 12 minutes (normally eight minutes apart)
- Only one person is permitted in the Pro Shop at a time. A face mask must be worn to enter the shop.
- Players should avoid touching the flagstick. The cups have been set up so the ball does not go all the way down into the hole so players do not have to touch the cup to retrieve balls.
- Rakes and ball washers have been removed from the course.
School Districts: Calendar and web information is listed below
- Commack School District: https://www.commack.k12.ny.us/
- Hauppauge School District: https://www.hauppauge.k12.ny.us/
- Kings Park School District: https://www.kpcsd.k12.ny.us/
- Smithtown School District: http://www.smithtown.k12.ny.us/
Smithtown Historical Society Hours: Office Hours are 9AM-5PM on weekdays, however it is recommended that residents call or email first. Email email@example.com Phone: 631.265.6768 Fax: 631.979.4694
Many of the local food banks, Long Island Cares and Island Harvest are out there on the front lines, ensuring no one is left hungry during this period of social distancing.
- Island Harvest: https://www.islandharvest.org/
- LI Cares: https://www.licares.org/
- Smithtown Food Pantry: Residents wishing to help the food pantry during the COVID-19 pandemic can mail monetary donations or gift cards to Smithtown Emergency Food Pantry: Post Office Box 1663, Smithtown, NY 11787
For up to the minute announcements on cancellations, please download the Town of Smithtown Mobile App.
If you are having a medical emergency, please call 9-1-1. If you believe you were exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19, call your doctor immediately or 1-888-364-3065 and be vigilant in limiting your exposure to others. It is vital for all residents to continue washing and sanitizing hands frequently. While we understand that residents may be temporarily inconvenienced by these changes, our top priority is ensuring that each member of this community remains safe and healthy during this time.